Tuesday, September 10

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, that are dreamt of than in your philosophy"

The end of the semester is just around the bend and I still have one schoolwork for the classic studies course waiting for progress, three tests and a phonetic transcription requested for this thursday. My friends are in charge of handing it over to our linguistic teacher, since I’ll be off to my homeland due to health problems. Luckily, most of our teachers will be attending to a conference that will last from wednesday through friday, so this event kind of came in handy for a zombie girl in desperate need of a doctor. 

Every time I plan to read my papers over the weekend and put my academic life in order I fail miserably, sunday has only a couple of hours left and so far I haven’t opened a single book. In spite of this indisposition  I’m managing to keep high scores and finishing all my schoolwork within the deadline. What I can’t stand are the literature classes, not because of literature itself, the problem is the technical analysis we’re suppose to do on classics of world literature. Whenever I read a book I allow my mind to slip into the story in an attempt to feel its essence, to understand the character’s feelings and to experiment a different existence, not to bother if the tale is been told by a first or third-person narrator, let alone to run my eyes through countless pages looking for technical details. 

It doesn’t matter how much I try to be up to date with this course, from time to time I realize that I’m still falling behind. And as I’ve just said this is not a matter of enjoying reading classics or hating them, for the last required book of our list was Madame Bovary and I absolutely fell in love with it! That’s the same with Hamlet. Not long ago I dropped by Chain’s library and bought a book containing three of Shakespeare’s most famous plays: Macbeth, Rei Lear and Hamlet (the part in which Ofelia dies is so beautiful! Below you can see a pre-Raphaelite painting! *-*).

It’s already known that I’m majoring in linguistics so our reading list is obviously huge. If up to a certain point I felt any enthusiasm with the books required for the literature course, all this enthusiasm began to disappear as soon as I heard my professor’s speech on “How to read” and “What to focus on”. But as the old and cliché proverb says: life is not a bed of roses. Anyway I’ve had wonderful times in company of my classmates and this certainly make up for my stressful moments. Another helpful tool that can help freshmen is to divide the time between college papers and fantasy books. I for one devoured a collection of stories from Celtic mythology, you should try it!




No comments:

Post a Comment